Key safety messages: The danger signs! Carbon monoxide may be present if there are any of the following danger signs:
- Gas flames that normally burn blue burn orange or yellow instead.
- Sooty stains appear on or just above appliances, regardless of the fuel being burnt.
- Coal or wood fires burn slowly or go out.
- The fire is difficult to light.
- The room is not properly ventilated.
- The chimney or flue is blocked – watch out for smoke in the room. Look out for masonry debris in the grate or appliance.
- You develop the following unexplained symptoms:
- Chest pains
Good practice guidelines
Given that accurate knowledge of the hazards of carbon monoxide is so low, it is important to communicate relevant information, so that people know the risks involved and the consequences of not taking the necessary safety precautions.